Directors are the central storytellers of
What You'll Learn:
- Break down a text to understand the beats, the intent of the line, the event of the scene and its objective
- Communicate the aforementioned elements to actors and utilize a variety of acting techniques to aid actors in finding character and giving the finest performance possible
- Determine casting requirements
- Plan shot selection and coverage to express the visual needs of a script
- Communicate with film department heads and select such key elements as art direction, props, and cinematography
- Demonstrate the ability to work within a film budget and manage time, equipment, and location limitations
- Take a leadership position in executing the production of a film
- Utilize editing to set the pace and tone of a film
- Analyze and speak with critical acumen about the work of other filmmakers
- Analyze and describe the challenges and logistics involved in safely producing an action sequence
- Create various genres through the performances of actors
If you're in the BFA Cinema-Television program, you'll also be able to:
- Block and direct actors (talent) in a multi-camera studio universe.
- Run a control room environment.
- Use terminology and practices of TV and Emerging Media Industries.
Courses You'll Take:
If you're in the BFA Cinema program with a Directing Emphasis, you must take these five (5) courses:
You must also take three (3) of the following:
- Storyboard Design
- Directing 3
- Art Direction (Production Design)
- The Studio Production: Filming on Film
- Script Analysis 2
- Production for New Media
- Navigating New Media
- Hollywood Business Practices & History
- Film Financing
- TV Commercial Production
- Music Video Production
- Documentary Production Workshop
- Entertainment Law
- Experimental Video Workshop
If you're working toward a BFA in Cinema-Television with a Directing Emphasis, you must take all Core courses, including Introduction to TV Production, and the following six (6) courses:
You must also take the required number of BFA Cinema electives PLUS two (2) of the following courses:
Practice Like a Professional
If you want to be a professional you have to practice with professional grade equipment. At Columbia College Hollywood, we have it all. From our professional soundstages to the most current, industry-standard equipment, you’ll have everything you need to succeed.
What Our Students Have Produced
Interested in what you might create? Columbia College Hollywood students have countless opportunities to show their skills. Check out some of their work below.
A short film about a woman baking a “special” treat for her husband on Valentine’s Day.
A documentary style short film by director Daniel Ruiz. The film takes viewers through a marine deployment to Iraq with a series of interviews.
Meet Antonio Castillo
Shot like a reality tv show, the short documents Antonio Castillo’s first steps in his transformation from shy and awkward to confident and in control.
Paper and Colored Pencils
Reggie is a young boy experiencing troubles at home. But when he is given an average art assignment, he learns more than he could have ever imagined.
How the Cookie Crumbles
An animated short about a cookie trying to unite with the ever popular glass of milk. He’ll make it, or crumble trying.
Akira’s Hip Hop Shop
All Akira is looking for is a new employee, but when he starts to fall for his new hire things get complicated.
Turn Your Passion Into a Career
Technical Skill + Business Know-How + A Crazy Creative Mind = One Good Looking Future. We want to help you turn directing into more than just a hobby. We want you to live it day in and day out. Because doing what you love isn’t a want, it’s a necessity.
Who You’ll Learn From
Columbia College Hollywood was started by the industry for the industry. That's why we hire industry professionals to teach you everything you need to know. Take a look at who might be teaching you.
What It'll Cost
We know earning a college degree is no small investment. Take a look at our tuition, financial aid options, and scholarship opportunities. We are committed to helping you get on a path to success.
|Production Insurance and Student Accident Insurance||$495.00||$495.00|
|Total Annual Tuition and Fees||$24,495.00||$12,495.00|