The Filmmakers Scholarship is a merit-based scholarship awarded to a limited number of newly admitted students who are hardworking, passionate, and possess both a deep appreciation for visual storytelling and a unique, artistic point of view.
This scholarship awards $3,000 per quarter for a total of $9,000 per academic year. It is renewable annually for up to 4 years if the recipient maintains a CGPA of 3.50.
|Your Starting Quarter:||Your Start Date:||You must submit your application by:|
|Winter 2018||January 16, 2018||Friday, November 17, 2017|
|Spring 2018||April 9, 2018||Friday, March 2, 2018|
|Fall 2018||October 1, 2018||Friday, March 2, 2018|
|Summer 2018||July 9, 2018||Friday, May 4, 2018|
Application RequirementsTo be eligible for the Filmmakers Scholarship you must:
- Have a GPA of 3.50 or higher from high school or college
- Be accepted for enrollment in a Bachelor of Fine Arts program in Cinema at Columbia College Hollywood
- Create and submit an About Me Video (2 minutes max.)
- Create and submit a Narrative Short Film (10 minutes max.)
- Submit a Personal Statement (500 words min. / 2 pages max.)
- Enroll as a full-time student (12-16 credit units)
- Attend New Student Orientation
- Begin your studies on the first day of classes
About Me Video Instructions
We are more interested in your creativity and storytelling ability than in the production value of your video submission. We want to know why you are the best candidate for a scholarship that will help you learn the art and craft of visual storytelling.
Please address the following questions in your About Me Video so we can learn more about you:
- Who are you?
- Where are you from?
- What kind of career are you interested in?
- Do you have any related experience? If so, what is it?
- What inspires you?
- What obstacles are you facing or have you overcome?
- Why did you choose to attend Columbia College Hollywood instead of other schools?
- What can you contribute to the Columbia College Hollywood creative community?
- Tell us about your favorite book or film.
Narrative Short Film Instructions
Columbia College Hollywood nurtures a culture designed to cultivate and inspire a deep appreciation of visual storytelling. Your narrative short film submission should represent your current grasp of film and video production and tell a story through your unique artistic point of view. Your narrative short film submission must be no more than 10 minutes in length. The scholarship review committee is looking for your creative fearlessness and a singular proficiency in creating work that communicates your ideas competently.
Personal Statement Instructions
The Personal Statement is your opportunity to exhibit your individuality through the lens of your unique experiences and background. The scholarship review committee views your submission as a measure of your personal vision and creative inner life. Think of your Personal Statement as a story about you. We want to learn about how your personal journey, experiences, hardships, values, and choices have made you the storyteller you are today. Your Personal Statement must be at least 500 words but no longer than 2 pages.
Topics may include:
- What are your values?
- What images and stories have shaped your worldview?
- How have these things informed and molded you as a self-aware artist?
- What do you have to say that's solely yours?
- Discuss 3 films, television shows, or stage plays that have impacted you deeply and why.
Please do not confuse a general love of film or a fleshed-out critique of films that have inspired you with your individual perspective and creative vision. Remember, there is no one-size-fits-all response. You are limited only by your imagination.